Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Shimmed! I Shimmed!

CheapandSleazy.net -> Do It Yourself Shim

I shimmed my manual Sentura 200! While I'm awaiting my realtime machine, tortuously mind you, I'm getting a little antsy. I can't wait to get my own copy of Case Catalyst too, but at the same time I want that soft touch everyone brags about when they use a realtime machine. Even the SRT's have a lighter touch than my manual one. So! I decided I was going to follow the Cheap and Sleazy guide to shimming your machine.

It was incredibly simple, and I did it in about 10 minutes. I'm a little unsatisfied with 2 cards, but this 5-year-old Quizno's card is gonna get chopped once again in a little while. I couldn't believe it when I pressed down that metal bar just below the gears and it made the keys go further down! No wonder people shim their machines.

So! I actually highly recommend following this guide (click here) for an cheap, sleazy, and easy way to shim your machines. I'm really, really liking this. Hopefully my wrists won't feel so tired because of it. All you need is a pair of scissors, an old and expired credit card, library card, or some old gift card, and a ruler. Everything else is incredibly simple. No risk too! Well, unless you consider getting ink and oil on your hands risky.

...Still can't wait for my own realtime writer and software though. Curse being manual, no-techy, court reporting student....

2 comments:

  1. I loved my shimmed machine! I only used one card, but I'm thinking about sliding another one in there soon.

    ReplyDelete