Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How did I get out of theory one with this writing?

So I'm in my second quarter of theory now and we're working on speed takes. Most of the class has already passed their 30's and are working towards their 40's, 50's, or 60's. On the audio at home I have no problem writing a 60 words per minute take, though maybe that made me feel a bit too enthusiastic or cocky. I stumbled on almost all my words, even the basic briefs I know by heart, trying to keep up with it. I didn't even dare look at it after I typed the take. All that echoed through my mind was "How did I get out of theory one with this writing?"

So my confidence goes down, and I calm down a bit, and we have a 50 words per minute take. I think this one is going to be horrible and intentionally slow down on purpose a bit to make cleaner notes. I go to type it up in the real time lab, just to see if I did well, and voila! I actually passed my take with less than 2 errors which were just punctuation and I put "this" instead of "that" for one word.

Basically, slow down and work on quality not quantity. You may be behind, but the human mind has the potential of remembering a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment