Saturday, January 8, 2011

Nev's Steno Book


Woo Hoo! So I made it out of monotonous Theory One and made it into Theory Two. I made it to the second quarter.

In Theory Two you get to start passing the speeds. Just this week I typed up and passed my 30 words-per-minute straight matter, and I believe my 40 words-per-minute straight matter. I just haven't had them handed back to me yet. There's a lot of concepts still to be covered in theory that I haven't been introduced to yet. So I have to type the words in syllables until I learn the correct form or brief later on.

While in the midst of take or homework if notice I take an extended time trying to figure out how to take the word down in steno I write in down in a notebook. When I get home I look it up in the dictionary and put it in my 'Steno Book'.

Whats funny is back when I was a child I was fascinated with words. I had a small notebook that I'd write words in if I didn't know them in the places I went to. I remember writing the word down 'chalupa' when Taco Bell started selling them. So this is where I got the idea: from my childhood.

So while doing homework, speed takes, or looking for a new brief for a word I've used a lot I write it down in my Steno Book at home, look it up in the dictionary, and then practice them to memory while studying.

Some of them are a bit obvious to others, but in our theory we haven't even covered 'ly' words yet. We're only on chapter twenty-five in StenEd and there's forty chapters in total. So this helps me expand my vocabulary in steno, without going ahead of the class or getting in over my head.

Its a bit of coming back to my childhood. I lost my precious word book one day as a child, and my parents wouldn't let me look for it, so coming up with a 'Steno' book is a way of retouching with that. I think there's a reason all my friends and family say that me working to become a court reporter isn't surprising at all. I did a lot of these methods as a child being fascinated with English. Now, as an adult, I'm fascinated with Steno. 


Posted @ depoman.com Forum Index -> Student Boot Camp -> Nev's "Word Book"

2 comments:

  1. Anita Paul has a great little Steno Book just for this purpose! It's called "Realtime Word Log" and it's just the perfect size to fit in your rolling bag.

    Mary Ann Payonk, RDR-CRR, CBC, CCP
    Washington, D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! I'm going to put a link up to it in my sidebar, if that's okay by you. :) As a kid, I was fascinated with words too, and decided that someday I'd like to write my own language. Little did I know I'd actually get to do it, lol.

    ReplyDelete