Friday, March 18, 2011

Thinking of starting a new blog.

So I'm finally out of theory, which was about a 6 month course, and I'm looking forward to about 2-3 years of speed building and studying for the CSR and RPR. I've been trying to find ways to avoid burning myself out. A lot of my family members, none of them court reporters, are concerned about perhaps I'm studying too hard. I'm figuring I need to find new ways to study without being on the machine all the time. I get told my machine is becoming more of an extension of my arm because I take it with me everywhere.

After watching this video (click here) on MSN I decided I wanted to start a new blog with a totally new system of not only building speed, but also building a bit more of self-confidence in myself and my abilities. I also need to work on strengthening my wrists, because during takes I don't feel pain but the aftereffects of writing a lot, and perhaps pressing too hard on the machine buttons are starting to get to me.

I'll probably keel over and die though before giving up. I really love everything that has to do with my machine, I just need to avoid burning myself out. That video mentions five ways of preventing burnout, and I think it applies to us too.




"You know how good it feels when you devote your energy to the things you care about, but in order to keep doing everything that matters to you its essential that you care for yourself first." ~ Anna Lappe
"The first key is recognition: Check in with your body. How are you feeling? How is your stomach, are there butterflies? How is your anxiety level, do you feel peaceful? If you say no, that you're off the edge, you better do something about it right away. The first step is to check your priorities. Are you giving away time to things that don't matter? Have you left time for things that are important?" ~ Joan Borysenko

"The second thing is friendship. Most of the data on stress reduction shows that we are the medicine for each other...or pets. I've got a couple of dogs even when friends are no where to be found if I pet them those dogs my brain hormones change and the stress level goes down." ~ Joan Borysenko

"...The third thing, its gratitude! Can you imagine if you just got up in the morning and list five things you're grateful for, or before bed you think of one thing you're grateful for that you never really thought much about before. It actually reduces your stress, it improves your immune function, and it makes you more motivated for success. ~ Joan Borysenko

"Centering and Meditation is very important for preventing burnout. Whether you sit and meditate, or do yoga or Qi Gong, it brings you into the present moment so you can let go of fear and worry." ~ Joan Borysenko

"Diet and Exercise, you have to eat right and exercise. Nine servings of fruits and vegetables, and lots of whole grains, will change your body chemistry and put you in a much better mood. And exercise is practically a <unknown>, I can tell you that the Joan who goes out for a bike ride, and the woman who comes back are two totally different people. All my cares disappear." ~ Joan Borysenko

I think these are good keys for success, so I'm going to start a new court reporting student blog based on these keys soon enough. I think they're good hints for getting up there. Who knows, that could also be a key to finally writing a book like I've dreamed of doing. 

3 comments:

  1. Great! This is such a great idea! My court reporting firm is also happy to see these stuff. I adore and I will bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They perform their daily duties with the help of specialized equipment called the stenotype. This is the reason why they are often referred to as a stenographer.Average Salary of Court Reporter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea for starting a court reporting coaching......... Great blog post

    Thanks
    Video conference in hong kong

    ReplyDelete